Sep 28, 2001
Bad Antogast, Germany
The act which is only destructive and inflicts suffering both on oneself and others is terrorism. In such an act, human values are lost in the process of achieving a goal.
Some of the factors that lead to terrorism are:
- Frustration and desperation to achieve a goal
- Confused emotion
- Shortsightedness and Impulsive action
- Belief in a non-verifiable concept of heaven and merit; a childish concept of God favoring some and angry at others, thereby undermining the omniscience and omnipotence of the Divine.
Terrorism induces fear psychosis in all, increases poverty, suffering and loss of life with no apparent gains. Instead of solutions the terrorist looks for destruction as an answer. If you simply criticize without giving a solution, know that this criticism comes from the same seed as terrorism!
Although there are certain qualities you can appreciate in a terrorist such as:
- Commitment to a goal
You will have to learn from them things that you should never do:
- Valuing some ideas and concepts more than life.
- Having a narrow perspective of life and dishonoring its diversity.
The Remedy for terrorism is:
- Inculcate a broader perspective of life – value life more than race, religion and nationality.
- Educate people in human values – friendliness, compassion, cooperation and upliftment.
- Teach methods to release stress and tension.
- Cultivate confidence in achieving noble aims by peaceful and nonviolent means.
- Create spiritual upliftment which can weed out destructive tendencies.
Question: Can it be that terrorism need not be only physical violence, but also cultural or economical?
Sri Sri: Yes.
Solution for economic violence – “Think globally, buy locally.”
Solution for cultural violence – “Broaden your vision, deepen your roots.”
Question: How does one cope with the aftermath of terrorism?
Sri Sri: Faith and prayer. When disaster happens, anger is inevitable. To take precautions that one does not react, wisdom is needed, not emotional outbursts. One mistake cannot be corrected by another mistake. Strive for multi-cultural and multi-religious education and spiritual upliftment to reach every part of the globe. For the world will not be safe even if a small pocket of people are left ignorant.